Lifestyle Etiquette 101: What to expect when you don’t know what to expect.
Heightened senses, heart racing, warm heat flushes over you… new experiences can be very stimulating! But they can also be intimating. No one wants to say the wrong thing and accidentally insult their new friends. So here are a few helpful tips on Lifestyle Etiquette; what to expect when you don’t know what to expect.
1) First and foremost, no one is expecting anything. In the Lifestyle, I have met some of the most genuine and caring people in my lifetime. No one is going to pressure you into anything. No one is going to take advantage of you. And if you feel pressured, move on because that’s not a good vibe anyway.
2) Just as no one is expecting you to do anything you are not comfortable with, don’t pressure anyone else. We are here to have fun because we are openminded and enjoy physical contact with lots of other people. There’s no obligation for us to do anything just because of the environment.
3) When approaching a new couple, I’ve always found it less awkward if the wives seem to hit it off…. Happy Wife, Happy Life?! …. but seriously, as a man don’t just go walking up to another guy’s wife and hit on her. Make sure that you show respect for their relationship and speak with her significant-other first. Introduce everyone. If the energy is right, you’ll know that’s its okay to turn on the charm. Same thing with us ladies. I know we get caught up in the moment and get all flirty… but if I’m going to flirt with your husband, I probably should stop and acknowledge you first. Now, every couple has their own rules on this obviously, but take the safe route and make sure everyone is on the same page.
4) If you don’t have permission, ASK first. If you don’t know the rules, ASK first. If you’re unsure of the situation, ASK first. My point is - permission goes a long way in the Lifestyle! And we are all very laid back and open minded people. We like straight forward questions. If you are wondering what kinds of things we are open to, just ask.
5) This goes along with number 4, but is so important that I think it deserves its own number. Please, please, please don’t touch anybody without their permission. One of my very biggest pet peeves is the people who just walk up and start touching before the introductions are even completed. Even when the intros are done, start small. Put your hand on a shoulder and see how it is received. Don’t just go grabbing ass. Nobody likes to be groped. If you need any additional clarification on this topic, please refer to tip #2.
6) Really, I had only planned on having 5 tips, but I think #6 will pretty much sum it all up. What to do when you don’t know what to do? Have fun and be respectful. As long as you follow those guidelines, I promise that you’ll do just fine!
***Want more advice? Send us a message via Facebook Messager to @secretshideway and we'll include your question in our blog!